Saturday, August 27, 2022

Why do I collect?????

 As I sit each day thinking of what my next post will be about, it all comes down to just one simple question. Ok maybe more than one question. My question today involves getting some replies from my readers or 8 followers. The question of the day is: What do you collect and why?????

So, for myself as many of you know I collect mostly autograph cards and I am a Boston Bruins team collector as my goal is to own every Bruins player who played in one of more games while wearing the spoked "B". Before I start describing that let me say that myself and many other collectors were bitten by that collecting bug many years ago. There were times I stopped collecting but then I came back.

Collecting autographs is a way for myself to control the everyday stress of my job so if I can't collect and enjoy it why work?? That is a strange way of looking at it, but it is how I feel. As a collector of Bruins autographs on cards and cuts I find it relaxing. When I put together my want list I stressed because I saw many names like Shore, Clapper, Bauer and others that I never would own. I was wrong as I now own all of those hall of fame players. When you see an autograph you need on ebay it excites you to hopefully buy and own and this is what I call repetitive collecting. Repetitive collecting is simply picking up cards/autos you need and continuing the same way until completion. This for some cause collectors to sell off their collection because they have accomplished the feat of their goals.






When I was collecting certain players, I was buying all of that players cards base, jersey cards auto's one of one's etc. you get the idea and once I got tired of that I sold the collection. There are many collectors who have done the same thing and there are some who never sell but who enjoys the hobby more?? That one I can't answer because I have sold more than I kept. It may be difficult for me someday to sell all of my Bruins auto's but as I close in on retirement and sit back and enjoy life it will hopefully become as an easier decision to sell than continue spending $$ and struggle with retirement life. It will be great to stay home but the struggles can be from needing more $$ to survive which includes staying warm having plenty of eats.

The moral of today's post is collect what you can afford and don't go overboard. As a autograph collector the cheapest way to collect is through the mail auto's as it currently cost $1.20 per auto request and it is taking a chance you may not get the cards back but as with collecting it is all a risk, enjoy it for the fun of it.

Look forward to reading your comments and tell your friends about my blog and if you like please follow. Happy collecting and stay safe!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have that collecting gene... with a hoarder mentality. It's a dangerous combination. My OCD tries to keep things in check, because I hate clutter. At this point collecting trumps my OCD. But I did start selling off excess stuff last year... which has continued into this year. It's been nice to recoup some of the money I've spent over the years past 40 years.

    But addressing your question about collecting... I think my OCD is a driving force. Ever since I was little, I loved to sort and organize. Cards allow me to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect cards because I need something to collect... and it's too late for me to take up something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I collect because it gives me something to do. But the question is this: Would we collect if we stopped watching the actual games?? I remember years ago when someone made a huge purchase and the husbands Wife found out how much was paid for the card. She said you mean you paid that much for a small piece of paper. I laugh everytime I think of the amounts spent on these pieces of paper. So are we all nuts?? No just having fun, I guess.

    ReplyDelete