Saturday, August 6, 2022

My Top Ten Bruins Autographs

 Today's post is being done a bit later than usual as it is our last day of vacation before we go back to work tomorrow so I figured I would post this one now and try and do one every other day while I am working and each day on my two days off Thursday & Friday. I will show my favorite Bruins autographs starting with number 10 and working down to number one. Let's Go!!!!!!!!


                                 Number 10


This autograph I chose based on the scarcity of the autograph, Barry Ashbee is a tougher autograph as he passed away at a very young age of 37, he passed away May 12, 1977. As a serious autograph collector, I know that a majority of autographs that appear on collectors want list are of players who have passed away many years ago. The reason is because the autographs back in those days were through the mail or at the game as the packs of cards did not contain an autograph card. These kinds of autographs usually end up in the private hands of collectors, Barry's autograph I have only seen 4 different ones including mine.


                                  NUMBER 9



I chose this autograph as number 9 as I have always liked how Phil Esposito signs his name as it is pretty much identical every time. the crossing of the letter "T" in his last name and how he makes the letter "E" in his last name.



                            NUMBER 8


Coming in at number 8 is the Brian Leetch autograph and he is another that signs identical each time. Brian has always been good to me when I send through the mail as he has signed every card I have sent. Maybe I am partial to players autographs that are legible but no I think it is based on a bit of that, but I mostly look for players that sign for their fans scarce and rare autos too.



                                    NUMBER 7


I chose David Pastrnak as number 7 because of how his auto looks a bit like the word pasta as he adds his jersey number 88 to his auto. I have never had any luck getting his auto through the mail.


                                    NUMBER 6



This autograph of Cam Stewart comes in at number 6. What I like about this auto is look at how he just go's wild, but it is still legible. He is almost impossible to get through the mail as I do not believe he has a certified auto so that means that his auto is tough and if he does not sign much more his auto will be a tough sought after auto for autograph team collectors.


                                     NUMBER 5 



Well, I bet a lot of readers will say why would he choose Byron Bitz and who is he. I chose Byron Bitz because I like his auto and another one who signs very easily but mostly because of his autograph.


                                    NUMBER 4



I chose Clayton Beddoes autograph because of appearance and the card is the 1996-97 Bowman Hockey card and I like the blue border and maybe I was partial because of the Jersey number as there have not been many to wear that number since Patrice Bergeron has worn it for 18 seasons.


                             NUMBER 3


I could not forget about Derek Sanderson as I have always loved seeing his auto. I would talk with other Bruins autograph collectors and we all agreed that his autograph looks like a pile signer. A pile signer is an autograph that is continuous flow of first and last name and you don't see a break between the names. His autograph is another that is identical every time.


                                    NUMBER 2


Coming in at number 2 is Murray Olivers auto as it is another beautiful looking autograph. Every letter is visible, and it is a nice dark and clear auto. So who did I choose as my Number 1 autograph, if you have read all to this point you will soon see who came in at number 1.


                            NUMBER 1


If you thought it was Bobby Orr, Sorry as I chose Brandon Smith, why you may ask?? I love the autograph and the card's photo and design but mostly the auto is very nice, dark and legible. Brandon is an extremely difficult autograph and there are reasons for this. He is difficult through the mail mostly because of not knowing where to mail to the auto request. These autographs were through the mail but sent to the Bruins address in which the player signs and sends back. So, this autograph was signed in the year 2000 and I was lucky to have got two different ones on this 2000-01 MVP Prospects card.


                                    HONORABLE MENTIONS


This is a very nice autograph and what makes it even nicer is that I sent it to Shane through the mail and I asked him if he would add the inscription "The Sheriff" and he obliged by adding that.




Well, I could not leave Bobby Orr from the list and some collectors may not know this but Orr signs two different ways. His last name he can either sign it with the loop in the letter "Y" in Bobby or just a straight line down, I prefer the loop myself and this one I have I liked the best from the selection of Certified Orr auto's that I had to pick from.


SOMEDAY I HOPE TO OWN.........




I hope that someday I can locate a Billy Coutu autograph as it is very, very difficult but they do pop up every once in a while. Coutu was one of the toughest players and received a lifetime ban for tackling a NHL referee but years later he was reinstated. There are lots of others I can dream of owning but maybe that will be a subject for another post. Thanks for visiting and as always before you leave, please leave a comment. Happy collecting and stay safe!!!

2 comments:

  1. A. Didn't realize Leetch even played in Boston.

    B. Really like the autographed card design used for the Sanderson.

    C. Love "The Sheriff" inscription.

    D. I have no idea my Top 10 Bruins autographs. There's a chance I don't even own 10 different players. But my Top 3 are:

    1. Bobby Orr
    2. Willie O'Ree
    3. Ray Bourque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hnidy played for the Anaheim Ducks in 2007-08 then finished that season with Boston. He was a defensive "D" man, stay at home. Leetch played one season in Boston 2005-06 and then retired after that season. He is a good signer as well.

    ReplyDelete