Monday, August 15, 2022

Zippity Doo Dah

 Well, I am back with today's post, and I thought I would add some mixed bag post. While I was sifting through the thousands of cards, I came across these wrappers. Does anyone remember any of these??? These do go back a while, but I found them interesting to see and discuss.


This first wrapper from Parkhurst is from the 1953-54 wrapper and the cost per pack was 5 cents. Why the word giant is used I really have no idea but if I was to guess I would say because the cards show full colored photos that give the look of being big and the cards have a facsimile autograph or maybe they are indicating the size of the gum.


 This one is from the next season 1954-55 Parkhurst but in comparing it to the first wrapper this wrapper has added the 4 Autographed Cards and 5 cents. So, again the autographed cards are again facsimile autos. These facsimile autographs as many of us have seen done by other card manufacturers are interesting by autograph collectors. They are interesting to compare the actual real autograph to the facsimile autograph, but I will add that I as an autograph collector do not like sending to a player for an autograph. The reason being that if the player signs the card it intertwines with the facsimile auto and looks like a pile of scribbles. As most of us know that when we sent to the players from hockey's beginning the autographs were beautiful and this applies to the other sports as well. Today's players just quickly scribble their name and 90% of these autos are not legible so I guess they do not take pride in signing their name and there are some that still do. I also have better luck with an auto request from one of the older players versus today's players. 


This last wrapper from the 1958-59 Parkhurst is Zip gum card and it is interesting to note that the front indicates the Maple Leafs and Canadiens and I believe it is because that season only had players from those two teams with a total of 50 cards. What is also interesting is there was action photos and the backs of the action photos had records by the team of that player. I have heard of Zip gum, and they had these contests where you had to answer I believe it was 20 questions. Parkhurst Zip gum also did some non-sport issues. 


This card is the 1999-00 Topps Premier Plus of Joe Thornton and when you have these cards in hand you can see and feel the fronts are a canvas look and feel while the back of the card is smooth. We do see canvas cards today but the front and back of those cards are canvas on both sides. Notice this card has a nice border and I myself prefer a border on a card not just because it looks great but because it is a way to get a better grade by the border have equal borders that look identical on each side. This card is a beauty because the borders look to be the same on the left and right top to bottom.


The final card for today's post I found the autograph to be unique. The card is the 1992 Topps card of Steve Lyons. I still remember when I opened the envelope it took me a few minutes to see the inscription he wrote "Psycho" and then it hit me as he was called that. That is a bonus when a player adds an inscription you did not ask for.

If you enjoy my blog, please click the Follow icon and follow and if you would please leave a comment about today's topic please do or tell me about some other cards you would like to see. I think it is nice to hear from the ones who follow and read. It is nice seeing the new followers too. Thanks for the visit, happy collecting and stay safe!!!


4 comments:

  1. I've never seen those wrappers before, but they are pretty cool! Love the "Psycho" addition on the Lyons card too. I have a Dustin Pedroia auto he inscribed with "Laser Show" and that little detail makes it an all time favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you collect wrappers too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I only collect cards. If I collected anything else the Wife would not like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen those wrappers before (super cool though)... but I am familiar with the 1999-00 Premier Plus set. I opened up a few of those packs back in the day when I worked at a card shop.

    ReplyDelete