Thursday, August 18, 2022

As a card collector what upcoming releases do you look forward to???

 Today's post I thought I would try discussing the upcoming card releases and the subsets that excite you as a collector. As a hockey card collector, I look forward to seeing the new subsets and since Upper Deck does hockey the big draw with the Upper Deck Series is the Young Guns. These Young Guns are the rookie cards and there are two series. Series one has 49 rookies plus a checklist card which is the same for the second series. For a collector who just collects his favorite team players you hope that your team has some of their rookies represented in the set, but you don't know which series until the checklists becomes available making the wait of a certain player even longer which is frustrating. What I do as an autograph collector majority just the Boston Bruins is if the player does not get a certified autographed card, I will buy the players base or rookie card and send the card to the player as an autograph request, known as through the mail (TTM). Today's players are not that great at signing but as for the older players they are great, and you can read the autograph quite easily versus today's player scribbles.

In the upcoming 2022-23 Upper Deck Series One I look forward to the Young Guns. I am looking forward to seeing and hoping there are some Boston Bruin players in that set. I like seeing the upcoming release info that shows the cards from each subset I just wish they would provide the checklist for these subsets. Maybe it is done that way to keep us collectors interested in the cards but it sure is a letdown when none of your players you collect are part of that set.


As an autograph collector I do not break any boxes as I would rather put that money buying the cards I need because I buy the cards, I need not buy a box and take a chance on getting nothing. The cost a box to myself is crazy and yes, I know it is taking a chance but that is too risky for myself, and I just buy cards that I collect.

As for other sports like Baseball I at one time used to buy wax but back in the 80's and 90's I could buy a box rather cheap maybe $30-$50 a box. I remember buying several boxes of the 1992-93 Topps hockey trying to complete the gold card set, I believe it was 529 cards and that was way more fun because it was affordable, and you could put the whole set together and not spend as much as you would today. I built that set the 1993-94 Bowman hockey gold and I did all of the 1993-94 Parkhurst emerald cards. Today when collectors open the boxes up, they don't care much for the base cards and to me collecting the base and parallel cards were more fun than pulling a jersey or autograph card but to each their own. Does Topps Baseball have any of the gold cards or other chase parallel cards?? 

How many of you actually remember collecting the gold cards and the fun it was and the 1992-93 Topps Baseball like the 92-93 Topps Hockey had the gold cards and if I remember correctly the designs were the same.




I added some scans, and the top photo shows the first two cards on the left side are the 1994-95 Topps Premier and if you look closely the first one is the special effects cards as you can see it looks like cracked ice and I added the bottom card a bit larger so you can see this effect. The other two cards on the right are from the 1993-94 Parkhurst the first one is the emerald version as it is emerald green on the Parkhurst name and the right-hand side along the player's name

I look forward to hearing what you look forward to in upcoming releases and what you collected years ago. Hope you enjoyed today's post. Happy Collecting and Stay Safe!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. I don't collect anything in current, and have paid any attention to what's coming soon for a few years now. Most of the time I only about a release when I see it on the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only look for the Bruins player cards either base subset or both. I do see a new subset for the U.D. hockey cards. Hoping there are Bruins players in that set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only upcoming release I'm excited for is still a few years away and that's if it even happens. Hoping Upper Deck does a 2024 Centennial set for Boston. If they do and it looks anything like what they did for Toronto, it should be truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete