Sunday, July 31, 2022

A Little Bit Offside

 Well today being Sunday I thought I would do a post about some Baseball and Non-Sport autos. I am talking about some of the better cartoonists. There are some that are quite well known and there are 2 auto's that I was so shocked to of got back signed.



This is the 1989 Topps card of Ed Romero. Ed has a nice looking auto and he is one who is a easy signer. I just wish others were like him being easy signers.



This card is the 1988 Topps card of Joe Sambito. I remember this one took quite a while to get back and Joe has a nice looking auto. The thing about the Topps cards is their designs were way different each year. One of their most popular design was the 1952 Topps cards and these were like ten years before my birthdate. The cards in 1962 were neat as they had the woodgrain design. One of my favorites was the 1975 Topps as the colors were two different border colors along with nice colored team names on the top of the cards. I have included a 1975 Topps card so collectors that have not seen the cards design can see the great design.



This is the 1975 Toops card of Diego Segui, and I did not get this one back in over a year, but I am glad I did as I remember his time with the Red Sox. As you can see the two different colors the light blue and yellow with pinkish colored lettering and the mini baseball showing the player's position.





This card is the 1993 Topps card of Danny Darwin. His best season was the 1993 season where he went 15-11 with Boston. 



The last Baseball auto is from one of my favorite players, Bernie Carbo. My favorite card of Bernie was the 1976 Topps card number 278. The one thing I always liked about Bernie was he had that large chunk of tobacco bulging out his cheek. I was quite happy I got this one back autographed.



This autograph is from a very well know cartoonist. Mort Drucker did a lot of Mad Magazine covers as well as other bits and pieces throughout the magazine. This card is titled Grounded, and the back of the card reads The Adventures of Captain Rochester. Very cool card and this is one of my most treasured Non-Sport autographs.



This is the blank index card I sent to Mort, and you can see what he wrote back, and he signed as well. His autograph is unique, and I love how he made the letter "M" in Mort with three lines. Sadly, Mort Drucker passed away April 9, 2020.



This one is a drawing of Superman in pen and signed by Dennis Janke. This is another very unique item because of the drawing, looks more vivid in person and if you look closely, he even drew the letter "S" for Superman on his back.



The final auto is of Al Jaffee, if anyone was a reader of Mad magazine's Fold In which was the last page of the magazine. When you folded the photo lining up the mark A to mark B it gave you a cool picture. Al Jaffee holds the Guinness book of world records for being the longest cartoonists. This is one I will treasure for many years it was done in blue marker and the back shows the bleed through.


So that is todays post I hope you all enjoy it and please if you enjoy my posts tell your friends to follow and I enjoy comments as well. Happy Collecting and Stay Safe!!!

7 comments:

  1. Those last two are really great. I used to see artists do quick sketches to accompany their signatures when signing at my uncle's comic book shows, but haven't seen a lot of examples of them doing it when signing through the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed with the Superman sketch and the Jaffee one. It would of been so great to of got a sketch from Drucker but I am still quite happy to of got his auto twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised by the Al Jaffee Honestly I thought he was dead. It seems that all the Mad cartoonists from back in the day are gone. But he is still around Wikipedia has him as being 101 years old (Born 13 Mar 1921)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaffee is still doing well. I saw a video of him and I was amazed as he acts younger than his age. Great cartoonist and I remember these paperback mad books that he did and anyone who either read Mad magazine knows about the Fold in. A legend cartoonist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I love those seeing Red Sox autos, the cartoonists are just too amazing. What fun additions to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those two sketches are awesome! I loved Mad Magazine as a kid. Two weeks ago, I inherited a book of sketches that included two other Mad Magazine artists:
    Sergio Aragones and Don Martin. I was pretty stoked to add them to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on those two Aragones and Martin, would love to see those. Big congrats!!!

      Delete