Friday, July 29, 2022

Hall Of Fame Autographs, One Game Wonders and More

 Each day I try and think what do I want to post about for today's blog post. I try and think of autographs that are popular, scarce and even some very tough and rare ones you know those obscure auto's more on those throughout today's entry. As an autograph collector I will say that I do enjoy the autograph hobby and yes there are times I get frustrated but overall, there are more positives than negatives.

The negatives would be that a majority of players from today's game just scribble there auto. The other would be the lack of signing by some. The latter does have an upswing to it and that would be the players who are tough signers the reward would be to actually one day get that autograph. Autographs like all collectibles that are lesser to find in quantity (Supply and Demand) do command a higher price. Again, there is good and bad with this as well and that is as a buyer to pay more is upsetting but if you are just a seller it is a good thing. At some point in the collecting world don't we all become sellers??? So, if this is true then it all evens out but with me it is always nice owning autographs that are scarce or obscure. Obscurity autographs are from players who played one to a few games. There are way more than one would think and my thoughts on their auto's being difficult is because of collectors not asking for their autographs but then there were autograph collectors back in the day who like myself would want any autograph from my favorite team or teams. So, let's move on to some of these types of autographs that I have discussed. 

Let's start will some obscure autographs and finish up with some Hall of Famers.



This is an autograph of Orval Tessier and I believe this auto was signed many years ago as this is not a cut auto. Tessier played a total of 59 NHL games and of the 59 games he played a total of 4 with the Montreal Canadiens and 55 with the Boston Bruins. As you can see his auto is very legible as a majority of the players from that era as they took pride in signing their autograph. 



This is another autograph signed on the blank index card of Wayne Brown. Wayne played for the Boston Bruins in the 1953-54 season but only in the playoffs a total of 4 games. As I mentioned earlier these autos are obscure. Wayne passed away September 20, 2019.



This autograph signed on the blank index card is of Chuck Scherza and I like that he added the 1943-44 Bruins as a nice added touch. Chuck played 2 NHL seasons and he played a total of 36 games 9 with Boston during the 1943-44 season then was traded to the New York Rangers the same season playing in 5 games for the Rangers a total of 14 games that season and the next and last season he played in 22 games with the Rangers during the 1944-45 season. Chuck passed away March 16, 2014.




The final autograph of the blank index cards and another one signed on the card of Dick Cherry. Dick played 3 seasons as his rookie season he was with the Bruins at the age of 19. That rookie season he played in 6 games registering no points during the 1956-57 season. His next team was the Philadelphia Flyers during the 1968-69 season tallying 15 points 9 goals and 6 assists in 71 games and his final season with the Flyers the 1969-70 season he had a total of 7 points in 68 games. Dick's older Brother Don Cherry appeared in one game with the Boston Bruins during the 1954-55 season.



This is by far an extremely difficult autograph of Hank Nowak. When I found a collector having two of these autographs I gave up a lot to own one of them and I am so very grateful to that collector. I usually send him autographs he needs as I believe helping each other is something everyone should enjoy. Now back to Hank, he did not like signing and I tried sending with no success. His autograph is another nice legible autograph.



This autograph of Doug Keans is another very tough one but nowhere as tough as Nowaks. I have seen doug's in person but I never have seen a Nowak. Of the Kean auto's I have seen they are pretty much identical in signing as they look pretty similar.



This card is the 2004-05 Ultimate Collection certified autograph of Hall of Famer Jari Kurri. Nice clean looking autograph and another auto I am glad to add to my Hall of Famer collection.



This card is the 2015-16 Upper Deck Premier Legendary Signatures certified autograph of Hall of Famer Mike Bossy. Another one I am glad I added to my Hall of Fame collection. Was saddened by his passing on April 15, 2022. I still believe if Mike had no back issues, he would have been the All-Time Goal scorer as he played in 752 games and scored 573 goals. Rest in Peace Mike.



This card is the 2013-14 Panini Playbook Storied Signature Certified autograph of Hall of Famer Phil Esposito. This card is serial numbered 43/50. Another great looking autograph and identical every time.



This card is the 2004 In the Game Parkhurst Original six autograph of Hall of Famer Jean Ratelle. I sent this one card to Jean, and I was so surprised to of got it back through the mail signed. Jean is a tough signer and again his autographs are identical each time. He has a unique way of making his letter "R" in Ratelle one way. Another nice addition to my Hall of Fame collection.



This card is the 1990-91Topps card of Hall of Famer Guy LaFleur and this is another through the mail autograph. I sent this card and one other and Guy was gracious to autograph both cards and included a larger photo of himself signed. Sadly Guy Lafleur passed away April 22, 2022. A gentleman of the game and great to his fans. Rest in Peace Guy.



This card is the 2000-01 Upper Deck Heroes Signs of greatness Certified autograph of Hall of Famer Stan Mikita. Another Hall of Fame auto that I am very happy to add to my Hall of Fame collection. Stan passed away August 7, 2018.



This card is the 1999 Upper Deck Century Legends Certified autograph of Hall of famer Bobby Hull. For years I saw his autograph and I will add that this autograph was signed over 20 years ago. His current autographs you can start to see the shaking in his signature. A legend indeed and one I am happy to cherish.



This card is the 2008-09 Be a Player Signatures autograph of Future Hall of Famer Patrick Marleau of the San Jose sharks. When I saw this card, I grabbed it so when he is inducted in the Hockey Hall of Fame I will already own.



This last card for today's post is one that when I saw it, I just had to own it. The card is the 2012-13 Panini Social Signatures Certified autograph of Darren Pang. Nice clean legible autograph of the Chicago Blackhawks Goaltender.


So, if you enjoyed today's post let me know by commenting below in the comments. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Collecting!!!

2 comments:

  1. Those are some impressive autos! Esposito is probably my favorite from the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Big fan of the 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures autographs. Such a great checklist of signatures.

    B. Marleau is one of my all-time favorite players. It's crazy that he has autographs on COMC for under $5. Then again... he signed a lot outside of Sharks Ice over the years. Very cool guy.

    ReplyDelete