Tuesday, July 26, 2022

MAY DAY, MAY DAY AND MORE

 I thought today's post I would mix it up with some Bruins and Sabres autos. As a huge Bruins fan I will never forget the four-game sweep during the 1993 playoffs but the one goal that sticks out and stings is the Brad May overtime winner. I can still hear Rick Jeanneret's call May Day, May Day!! Curious as to what other Sabre fans consider one of the best Sabre goals of all time. The amazing pass by a falling Pat LaFontaine set up the goal as May deked his way past Raymond Bourque and a fallen Andy Moog and the open net set up for May's wrist shot to give the Sabres a 6-5 overtime win and sweep of the Boston Bruins. So today's auto's will be of the Bruins and Sabres so sit back and enjoy.



This is the 1993-94 Parkhurst Brad May auto and I remember when I sent the auto request to Brad I did ask him what his biggest goal was. I got a reply of everyone knows this one. 




This is the 1993-94 Parkhurst auto of Craig Muni. The autograph in person is easier to read but I was glad when I got his auto back as he was a tougher one to get through the mail, but I got him.



Another 1993-94 Parkhurst auto this time of Donald Audette. When I got the auto, I looked at it and said oh no, I thought it was signed with a dry ease marker, but I rubbed it, and it did not come off. I believe it is from being in the envelope and going through the postal cancelling process. He has a nice looking auto as many players from that era and going forward a lot are just a quick scribble.



This Grant Fuhr 1993-94 Parkhurst is a classic card as it shows the Hall of Famer stopping a shot with his blocker. For many Sabre fans and collectors his autograph is always identical each time. Grant is such a nice person as he signs for his fans and that is a rarity today. Thank-You Grant for taking care of your fans.



This 1993-93 Parkhurst card is of Derek Plante and the 1993-94 season Derek I thought had a shot at winning the Calder trophy as the finished the season with 56 points, but that award went to Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur. Still 21 goals as a rookie are quite good.



This 1993-94 Parkhurst card is of Wayne Presley and you can tell by looking at his card that he put a lot of drive into playing. Nice looking auto as well and was glad to add him to the 1993-94 Parkhurst auto set.


This 1993-94 Parkhurst auto is from 2-time Stanley Cup winner Craig Simpson who won both cups with the Edmonton Oilers. Very nice looking auto and one I was pleased to get back signed and he goes into my Stanley Cup winning players auto set. Craig only played 2 seasons with the Sabres the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons ending his career that year.



This 1993-94 Parkhurst card of Scott Thomas was another tougher auto, but I guess he liked what I wrote in my letter when I asked for his autograph. Scott played only 2 seasons with the Sabres but one thing to note these players that only played a few games their autos as time passes by are what I call obscure and sometimes players that had short careers they don't like signing because of that. Just glad I was able to get Scotts. 




I thought I would finish the Sabres auto's off by showing Dale Hawerchuk's auto I got through the mail. Dale signed every card I sent, and I now am forever grateful getting his autographs as I was Quite sad by his passing. I got these cards back during the 2019 season. A great player and a great person, Thank-You very much Dale and may you rest in peace.




I thought I would add in some Bruins players and since I am basing today's post on the Bruins and Sabres why not show the first Bruins auto of Dave Andreychuk who played an amazing 23 seasons in the NHL. 12 seasons as a Buffalo Sabre and 1 with the Bruins and he had a total of 1,338 total points 640 goals and 698 helpers. Dave went on to win the Stanley Cup during the 1993-94 season with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Dave was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2017.



This autograph is the 2004-05 In the Game NHL Bruins Franchise Series Autographs card. Gilbert has one of if not the nicest looking autographs as far as legible autographs go. The only other time I can remember seeing such beautiful penmanship was during my early school years and that by my English teacher but let me re-phrase that because way back then that teacher taught every subject. Easily the greatest looking autograph and I wonder do they still teach penmanship in School anymore???



This card is the 2016-17 Upper Deck Erik Haula and what I like about Erik is he is very animated on the ice, I love how he acts with his teammates as he makes the other players better. I was upset that the Bruins traded him to the New Jersey Devils, and I am still hoping that in a future Upper Deck release that is shows him wearing the spoked "B" as I would love to get it autographed.



This card is the 1994-95 Donruss card of John Gruden. If you take a look closely at the card lower right corner, you can barely see the name John Gruden. This is by far the worst looking set of cards (In my opinion). I added this auto because John Gruden was named an Assistant Coach of the Boston Bruins. John is another easy signer and nice looking auto.



This card is the 1942 Beehive card of Zellio Toppazzini and another tough to acquire auto. Zellio has a brother that played in the Bruins organization Jerry Toppazzini who was nicknamed "Topper". The autos from the players of the golden era are beautiful as you can see every letter. So happy to have this auto in my Bruins collection.



This card is the final series of Beehives, and it is the Type III and these photos are not like the first two series where the photo is lightly glued to the backing. This series is actually one card with the woodgrain appearance. Another nice addition of Parker MacDonald.



I figured I would end this post the way it started showing Linus Ullmark's 2015-16 Champs card. I sure was pleased I got this one autographed, but I will be getting his Bruins card auto'd as well. Just think my opening statement about the Sabres and Bruins ends with Linus playing for both teams, how ironic is that??

I want to say that I am so very glad I have three more followers and if anyone wants to see Any players autos or team just mention it in the comments. I look forward to sharing more stories and autos with you all. Thanks Again!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome autographs! I'm pretty sure Sabres fans born after May's career was finished have heard the "May Day" call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that Hawerchuk had passed away. He has a really cool autograph in the 1996-97 Pinnacle Be A Player set where he's with his son. Hadn't thought about that card in years, but seeing your two signatures reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gilbert is just a great looking card all around. As for penmanship being taught in schools, I remember reading an article sometime in the last couple of years about cursive no longer being taught in a lot of schools. Apparently it's considered to be obsolete by many, and therefor not worth teaching anymore. The article also pointed out that we could only be a couple of generations away from a time when people can no longer even read cursive. That's a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We learned penmanship in grammar school and my signature is ok and legible, nothing like my teachers or Gilles Gilberts but I try to make it identical each time. The only things I sign are checks for paying bills. Such a shame they stopped teaching penmanship, if someone learns other subjects would it not be important to be able to write. We learned penmanship during english class and it was only for maybe 30 minutes.I agree as it is a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete