Thursday, September 1, 2022

Are larger cards better??

 Before I went to bed last night, I knew I had lots to do for this blog. I knew I needed to bring everything up to date. I finished adding cards that I hope to get autographed on my Will these cards ever get autographed page, and I added 12 new autographs to the Boston Bruins autograph collection on my Monthly Autograph Additions page. Please check these pages out and I am allowing comments on those pages in case a reader can help locate my autograph wants.

So, today's post is about the larger cards or photos. If I had to choose, I would choose the large Beehive cards. If anyone has never seen a beehive card, I will be posting two here today along with a couple of photos. The Beehive cards were produced by the St. Lawrence Starch Company. There big item was the Corn syrup, and you could get these beehive photos. When you ordered these cards, you had to name the player you wanted, and you had to send in a token or a collar. So, if you sent in a one token from a 2 lb. Beehive syrup collar you got oine photo. For two photos you had to send in one 5 lb. Beehive Syrup token and to get three photos you had to send in one 10 lb. Beehive syrup token.

There was a list of players to choose from listed by teams. These cards were done in three different series. The first series Type Ones were done 1934-1945, Type two's were done 1947-1964 and the final type threes were done 1964-1968. During the wartime years 1945-47 they suspended the promotion. The type threes are my favorite, those cards offer a woodgrain border and the photo itself is part of the same as it does not have the mat like the other two types.


I have posted a scan of Pat Egan and Dave Creighton. These came with the different colored Mats as you can see the colored border. The photograph of the player is merely a black and white magazine type photo glued at the top of the backing. The backs are blank and a lot of them can be found with writing on the back by the original owner as a checklist of the players he or she needed.


This Beehive of Parker MacDonald is the type 3's and now you can see the border is woodgrain and is all one photo. The type 3's are my favorite ones because the photos are not separate like the other two types are glued to the backing.


This photo is of Ed Chadwick and I am showing it to allow the readers to see these goalies played with no mask as in this photo. Also look at his nice autograph as the players from that era all had beautiful penmanship and they took pride in signing their names for their fans.


This last photo is of Marty Howe of the Boston Bruins. How many of you knew that Gordie Howe's son Marty was a Bruins player? Marty Howe played 78 games for the Bruins during the 1982-83 season.

Well, that is today's blog as I have been working on my blog since 5 A.M. this morning until now. I updated all of my pages and added many new cards I hope to someday get autographed and added 12 new Boston Bruins autographs. I mailed out 26 autograph requests last Thursday the 25th of August and I hope those start to roll in as autographed and not any RTS (Return to sender). Please be sure to leave a comment on any of my pages and if you like my blog and know of anyone else who would like it please let them know and become a follower. Happy Collecting and Stay Safe!!!



2 comments:

  1. The Beehive cards are new to me. I can definitely see why people would like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Beehive cards are very popular and I believe there was 640 different players. Back in those days that was a lot. Like with all of those mail in cards there are scarcity cards that do exist and those players were of players that were not as popular with the young collectors.

      Delete