Monday, September 19, 2022

What is your favorite Baseball set??

 Instead of just doing a new post about what I have I thought I would do something different and discuss some of my favorite sets and cards and autographs. Probably my favorite modern baseball set would be the 1975 Topps set. I love the colors used as the design was different from there earlier sets.


 My favorite Baseball card there are several but if I had to choose one, I would say the 1956 Topps Ted Williams # 5. I love how the card has an action photo plus the portrait, Ted's famous swing as it looks so sweet in the photo.

My favorite autograph would be a hockey one and there are many to choose from so I will show my top 5 starting with number 5.


How could I not choose this beauty the one reason I chose this one is because of what he added, "The Sheriff". Of course, I asked him to add that and as you can see, he did.


This is a favorite because of how the autograph is so perfect, look at how the letter "G" looks. His autograph is always identical, and he signs through the mail every time I have sent.




I chose this one not because of his popularity but because of his autograph looking so good. I have seen many of his current autographs and I can start to see some shakiness in the hand. One thing I have noticed in studying Bobby Orr's autograph. He signs it two ways, the way in this card is my favorite as he has the loop in the letter "Y". The other way is he just go's straight down on the letter "Y" with no loop and I prefer the loop.


This is favorite number 2 and yes, I know it is not a Bruins player which is ok, but I always loved seeing Mr. Beliveau's autograph. Look at how he underlines it with that fancy design. I have a friend who went to a game and got Jean to sign for him and Jean told other players to take pride in signing their name for the fans. I wish the players today would feel the same way. These autograph's of today's players I call them SCRIBBLES, it is just awful!!!


This autograph of Bobby Bauer is my number one favorite autograph. This is a very difficult oine to find because Bobby Passed away in 1964 and this autograph came from a team signed photo with many others that I got from the photo. Beautifully signed in black fountain pen and this is probably one of the boldest and clearest looking Bauer autographs and one that I proudly own.







These last three are my Honorable mentions, Eddie Shore, Bill Cowley and Don Sylvestri. The Shore and Cowley are from the same team photo as the Bauer and the Sylvestri is one that I was very lucky to have got through the mail. He is a extremely hard one to get TTM.

Well, this ends todays post and I hope I hear from others as to their favorite sets or individual cards and autographs. Happy collecting and Stay Safe!!!!












5 comments:

  1. I couldn't narrow it down to a specific year, but I think my favorite baseball sets are the old Zeenut sets. If I had been smart, I would've spent more time collecting them years ago when they were still cheap, as now even the most common of cards are usually out of my price range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon it is funny you said Zeenuts. I bought a large collection 1,500 different zeenuts from my collecting friend in Virginia in the mid 80's. I paid $5 a card and I did acquire the Dimaggio Zeenut but it was not in that lot. I believe he was with the Seals and I had the batting pose and the coupon was not intact. Most of the 1500 I got did not have the coupon intact but I did not care. Have you ever seen the Homerun kisses they were brown background and were issued in 1912. Thanks for mentioning those cards as they bring back memories.

      Delete
  2. I am one of those collectors who have a soft spot for the now-overused 1987 Topps design. I also consider the 1981 set among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me see if I have the 1987 set correct was that the set with the woodgrain borders?? The 1981 I believe had the baseball hat icon in the lower left corner with the team's name and position. Topps always put out nice designs and I still say cards should always have a border, I hate these cards today with no border. We had so many great things that happened back in the day compared to the craziness that go's on now a days.

      Delete
  3. Baseball Card Set: 1956 Topps
    Baseball Card: 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson
    Autographed Card: ???

    I feel like I should have an autograph that stands out. Heck, I might have even written a post on my favorite autograph. But I just woke up and nothing is coming t me. I'm thinking my favorite would probably be a baseball player... maybe Gwynn or a single from one of my favorite autograph sets. Since you went with a hockey card, I'll just mention a couple of hockey cards I really love in my collection:

    A. 1996 SPx Tribute Wayne Gretzky - Love this card, because it looks cool and because it features The Great One.

    B. 1997-98 Beehive Auto #NNO Willie O'Ree - i love this set... even if they're oversized. Plus O'Ree is such an iconic figure in hockey history.

    ReplyDelete