Thursday, February 2, 2023

What would you do???

 Well, I finally have found time to write a new post for my blog. Before I get started on today's topic, I would like to let my followers and others who read and do not follow that my blog is not just about hockey cards and players. I will be writing about Baseball cards and non-sports cards as well. So, with that out of the way lets jump into today's topic.


I actually just bought this very tough autograph sheet of the 1945 Boston Bruins with a total of ten different autographs. The one tough auto is that of John "Jack" Shewchuk. Of the ten different I need four of them, but the problem is the autographs are signed on a piece of paper but on both sides which leaves a dilemma of destroying maybe two of the four to get two and the one I really want is Shewchuk's auto. As you can see from the photos the problem. I really am not a collector of multi signed items I would rather have single signed autos. So, should I cut the autos out to try and salvage at least two of the four I need, or should I leave it intact and make a card with each player's name on the front side and add the others to the back side??



I definitely am keeping the Jack Shewchuk auto intact as he was the reason, I grabbed these ten autos. Of the ten I need these four Bill Jennings, Ken Smith, Jack McGill and Jack Shewchuk. The only way I could get two is if I cut the top 2 Ken Smith and Jack McGill, but Shewchuk is on their reverse side. It would have been better had those three signed the same side. 

One of the reasons why I want the Shewchuk is because he is on a lot of other serious auto collector's want list as is Bill Jennings so I could cut those two and have them and that would allow me to sell the others that I already have.

I will have a part II showing what I did with these autos, but I would love to hear what others think as to what they would do. Tough decisions!!! It really is interesting seeing what these collectors back in the day had for the players to sign on. This looks to be an address book as the pages show the name, street, city and phone. This is not the first time I have seen where players sign on each side and these autos are signed in fountain pen which was very common back then.
 My next blog will be part II and I will be adding some non-sport and some baseball cards. So, if you like what you see then please start following and as always comments are always welcomed.




4 comments:

  1. I'd keep it intact. If nothing else you could use photocopies as placeholders for each name. Who knows, you may end up with these guys' autographs again down the line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd leave it intact. It represents a moment in time, or at least a pretty cool moment in someone else's life. I can't imagine destroying that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of those guys from 1945 on one sheet, I don't think I'd have the guts to cut it up. There are two more factors that would keep me from taking out the scissors.

    #1: Autographs on both sides... which means there's a chance you're cutting up a signature.

    #2: If I cut the signatures, I'd want straight lines. You mentioned the Shewchuk was a priority, but cutting that signature (with a straight line) would mean cutting the top of Egan's signature. That would prevent me from doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be doing a part II which will show what I did to the sheet of autographs. I read the three comments and it appears that each said the same thing that it is a piece of history. Yes, it is a piece of history, but I and other serious autograph collectors have cut up so many of these types of autos. I was fortunate to of found a team photo of the 1930's Bruins team and I got 8 autos from it that I needed. The difference though with that piece is the autos were all on one side. When cutting autos, it is almost impossible to cut them straight as a majority have a slant and when together in a collectors autograph book you have to cut between the autos. So, if you look at the Ken Smith that one is an east cut, but the McGill would be easy, but you would destroy the Cupolo auto because of the closeness of each auto. Henderson,Rozzini and Gaudreault are pretty easy autos to locate. Of the ten auto's Shewchuk is the toughest and Jennings second toughest and McGill third toughest.
    The one thing about these autos is they were all signed using a fountain pen and the inks for those types of pens usually do fade easier than today's inks or even that of a good 'ol Bic stick ball point pen. When I get auto's today, I always use a sharpie. Stay tuned for part II for the results.

    ReplyDelete